It's just not that easy. A friend of mine at a large company whose name rhymes with "Maytheon" spent over 3 months trying to get approval from IT for a commercial database tool. IT departments tend to be empire-building fools, and extraordinarily paranoid to boot. At my parent company, whose name looks something like "Gorthrup Numman," they have an entire IT Division whose goal in life seems to be to make computer life hell for everyone else. When they say "Office2007" that's what every NGC employee gets no matter what. Anyone who has the temerity to run updates (even OS or Office) downloads on their own risks the threat of termination. I'm not kidding.

So, this is rather OT for an R discussion group, but I wanted to add credence to the others who've been posting horror stories about the rules inside corporations.

I have to say I can't figure out how the IT dept's havent' noticed that lots of these same employees WRITE software, and could easily do far more damage (intentional or not) to the network than a few updates or open-source packages ever could

Carl

<quote>
Neil Shephard <nshephard_at_gmail.com>

What alternative do they expect you to use?

If they expect you to use Excel for statistics then its worth letting them know that this would be a very bad idea as there are many short-comings, some of which I've referenced at..

http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/progs/stata/avoid_excel.html