An amusing afterthought : What is a rival software (ahem!) was planting
this, hoping for a divide between S and R communities.or at the very minimum
hoping for some amusement. an assumption or even a pretense of stealing
credit is one of the easiest ways of sparking intellectual discord
Most users of softwares don't really care about who gets credit ( Who wrote
Windows Vista ,or Mac OS or Ubuntu Linux), and the NYT is a newspaper not a
journal.

Does any student, or teacher for that matter care whether Newton or Leibntiz
invented calculas.