Hi Stephane,
see ?try
hth.

Stephane Bourgeois schrieb:
Hi,

I'm using read.table in a loop, to read in multiple files. The problem
is that when a file is missing there is an error message and the loop is
broken; what I'd like to do is to test for the error and simply do
"next" instead of breaking the loop. Anybody knows how to do that?

Example:
filelist <- c("file1.txt", "file2.txt", "file3.txt")

for (i in 1:3) {

  if (read.table(filelist[i]) == ERROR LOADING FILE) {
# this is where I do not know how to write the condition

    print(paste("error opening file ", filelist[i], sep=""))

    next

  } else {

    tmp <- read.table(filelist[i])

  }

}

Cheers,

Stephane

--
Eik Vettorazzi
Institut für Medizinische Biometrie und Epidemiologie

Martinistr. 52
20246 Hamburg

T ++49/40/42803-8243
F ++49/40/42803-7790