Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

On 8 March 2009 at 19:01, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
| As far as I can see (but I might be nearsighted), I see no model linking
| package download to package use(s). Data may or may not become available

Which is why Debian (and Ubuntu) use the _opt-in package_ popularity-contest
that collects data on packages used and submits that to a host collecting the
data.  This drives the so-called 'popcon' statistics.

Yes, and there are many ways in which one can criticise this data collection
process.   But I fail to see how __not having any data__ leads to more
informed decisions.

Once you have data, you have an option of using or discarding it. But if you
have no data, you have no option.  How is that better?

I've also created a package named PopCon here:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/JeffreyHorner/PopCon_0.1.tar.gz

I provided it to the list many months ago and got no response on it's implementation or use. I encourage anyone to download it and understand how it can be used to implement a popularity contest for both packages and even functions and such.

Maybe R can sponsor a Popularity Contest day where everyone is encouraged to download the package and "push" some data to r-project.org or even crantastic.org that notes what useRs currently have loaded on their search path...

Best,

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner