Muhammad Azam wrote:
Dear R members
I have a problem regarding storing the lists.
Let L=number of distinct values of any predictor (say L=5)
P=number of predictors (say P=20)

g1 <- c()
for(i in 1:P){
if(L > 1){
  for(j in 1:(L-1)){
g <- ....
g1[j] <- g
                       }
            }
g2[]=sort.list(g1)
                }

Now the question is: What should we use inside brackets of g2[....], whether "i" or some thing else? If L is not greater than 1 then there will be a "NULL" for g2. We don't want to store it in g2, so how can we handle this problem. Looking forward for some help. Thanks and
Hi Muhammad,
The first thing I would ask is "Why not store NULL in g2[[i]] if that element is NULL?". If you do this:

for(i in 1:P) {
if(L > 1) {
 g1<-rep(NA,L)
 for(j in 1:(L-1)) g1[j]<-...
 g2[[i]]<-sort.list(g1)
}
}

you will have fewer elements in g2 than you have sets of predictors and will then have to match up the sets of predictors with the elements in g2. I think you could just test for NULL

is.null(g2[[i]])

later on if you don't want to process these in a subsequent step.

Jim