From: Uwe Ligges <lig...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>
To: Liang Zhang <zhangl...@yahoo.com>
Cc: r-help@r-project.org
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 2:50:00 AM
Subject: Re: [R] Can't install package "glmnet"

Liang Zhang wrote:
Hi, I was trying to install package glmnet in R, but failed and it show such messages:

* Installing *source* package glmnet ...
 This package has only been tested with gfortran.
 So some checks are needed.
 R_HOME is /home/username/R/R-2.9.0
Attempting to determine R_ARCH...
R_ARCH is
Attempting to detect how R was configured for Fortran 90....
    Unsupported Fortran 90 compiler or Fortran 90
    compilers unavailable! Stop!
ERROR: configuration failed for package glmnet
* Removing /home/username/R/R-2.9.0/library/glmnet

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpwsLWSc/downloaded_packages
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning message:
In install.packages("glmnet") :
  installation of package 'glmnet' had non-zero exit status

It seems that it needs fortran 90 complier. What can I do to solve this problem? (I am not the administrator, only a user in the linux system).

Ask for a suitable compiler?

Uwe Ligges

Thank you very much!
Liang