Based on your solution, could we not fix this issue for the symbol function?

Le 27 avr. 09 à 23:47, Duncan Murdoch a écrit :

On 27/04/2009 5:23 PM, Christophe Dutang wrote:
so it could be a limitation of graphics on windows?

It's not graphics on Windows, but it appears to be a limitation of the windows() graphics device in R. It is used for bitmap plots as well as on-screen plots, which is why you saw the same effect in jpeg, but different devices are used for Postscript and PDF.

When drawing lines, R handles the dash style itself, rather than using the built-in dashes. But it doesn't do so for circles, and doesn't make use of the Windows line styles.

If you really need the dashes onscreen, you can draw the circle yourself. Assuming the scales are equal on both axes that's easy, just use

> theta <- seq(0,2*pi, len=256)
> lines(x+r*cos(theta), y+r*sin(theta), lty="dashed")

(where (x,y) is the center and r is the radius). It's more work if you want things to appear as circles when the scales are unequal, but I think this works:

circle <- function(x, y, inches=1, ...) {
 theta <- seq(0, 2*pi, len=256)
lines(x + grconvertX(inches*cos(theta), "inches", "user") - grconvertX(0, "inches", "user"),
       y + grconvertY(inches*sin(theta), "inches", "user") -
grconvertY(0, "inches", "user"),
       ...)
}

so you'd get the plot you wanted using

circle(0, 0, inches = 1.5, fg="black",lty="dashed")

The circle function is not vectorized, so it's not as useful as symbols, but it could be improved.

Duncan Murdoch

It also appears with "long dash" lines.
x <- -4:4
y <- -4:4
plot(x,y,type="n")
symbols(0, 0, add = TRUE, circles = 1, inches = 1, fg="black", lty="solid") symbols(0, 0, add = TRUE, circles = 1, inches = 2, fg="black",lty="dashed") symbols(0, 0, add = TRUE, circles = 1, inches = 3, fg="black",lty="longdash", lwd=2)