On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendi...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I understood what you were asking but R is an oo language so
> that's the model to use to do this sort of thing.

I am not talking about creating a new class with an analogue to the
subtraction function.  I am talking about a function which applies another
function to a sequence and its lagged version.

Functional arguments are used all over the place in R's base package
(Xapply, sweep, outer, by, not to mention Map,  Reduce, Filter, etc.) and
they seem perfectly natural here.

Or perhaps I am not understanding your objection.

              -s