R-help,

I get the following error message when trying to connect to an Oracle database
through R (2.8.1) under Linux (Ubuntu 9.04).

> channel<-odbcConnect("magnus",uid="luisr",pwd="juanayzakarias")
Warning messages:
1: In odbcDriverConnect(st, ...) :
  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data
source name not found, and no default driver specified
2: In odbcDriverConnect(st, ...) : ODBC connection failed

I connect to the Oracle database in the following way:
$ sqlplus username/passw...@myipaddress/databaseName

Doing some googling I found a mail thread with the following code:

con<-odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=myIPaddress;DRIVER=oracle;DATABASE=databaseName")
Warning messages:
1: In odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=192.168.20.129;DRIVER=oracle;DATABASE=MAGNUS") :
  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data
source name not found, and no default driver specified
2: In odbcDriverConnect("SERVER=192.168.20.129;DRIVER=oracle;DATABASE=MAGNUS") :
  ODBC connection failed

which it is not the correct syntax (I also need some help on this).
The problem is with the driver. It seems that the file "odbcinst.ini" contains
the information
of the driver but mine is empty although I have already run the Oracle
Universal Installer
to install the Oracle ODBC driver for linux.
In that same mail thread there are examples on how this file should look like
but on this I would need also help
as there is no example on Oracle drivers (just MySql, PostgreSQLt)

Thanks in advance.