You have to understand the difference between the lexical scope of a function (which gives the search path for variables) and call stack (which is a path of function calls). This gives an enormous flexibility in programming, perhaps at the cost of confusing some people.

See http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html#Scope
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-lang.html#Scope
and
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-lang.html#Scope-of-variables

Here is a slightly corrected Steve's example:

f1 <- function(name, envir=parent.frame()){
#`name` is a string here, objects are referenced by their names in R and not pointers
    assign(name, 1, envir=envir)
#assignment is made in the parent.environment which is an environment of calling function
}

f2 <- function(n){
    i <- n
f1("i") #pass the name of an object and not an object as you did in your original example
    print(i)
}

Now,

i <- 10