On 08/28/2009 01:16 PM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Oliver Bandel<oli...@first.in-berlin.de>
wrote:
[...]
The goal was to produce a picture in a web-environment.

At the moment rpy2 will be used.... maybe there are way to achieve something
like that in this way, but I'm also new to rpy2.

When the graphic could be written to stdout, the calling environment could reead
it from the forked process.

But maybe rpy2 works different.

Any ideas on that on-the-fly creation of pictures?
If there would be no temporary files this would be fine.
That's the reason why I looked for stdout as output channel.

Oliver,

I have a similar problem and had a similar question on the list about
a week ago.... all I could find out that some devices of the Cairo
package are supposed to support plotting to R connections (including
stdout), but it does not work in practice:

library(Cairo)
tc<- textConnection("foo", "w")
CairoPNG(file=tc)
Error in Cairo(width, height, type = "png", file = filename, pointsize
= pointsize,  :
  file must be a filename. to support writing to a connection,
recompile R and Cairo with the R Connection Patch.

Information on the "R connection Patch" is welcome. Recompiling R and
Cairo is not a problem for me, I am putting together a special
environment anyway.

Best,
Gabor

[...]

This is a patch that was offered by Jeff Horner some time ago ;

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/devel/06/10/0565.html
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=developers:r_connections_api

The patch allows packages to exploit the connection api from the C level, a privilege that still remains internal to R.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast