Vitalie S. wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:40:53 +0200, Kevin Wright <kw.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Ted Harding
<ted.hard...@manchester.ac.uk>wrote:

On 28-Aug-09 12:59:24, Esmail wrote:
> Perhaps most of you have already seen this?
>
> http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/google-r-style.html
>
> Comments/Critiques?
>
> Thanks,
> Esmail
>
> ps: Reminds me of PEP 8 for Python
>
>      http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
>
> Maybe not that surprising since Python is also one of the main
> languages used by Google.

I think it is grossly over-prescriptive. For example:
 "function names have initial capital letters and no dots"
is violated throughout R itself.

Ted.

Certainly R's function names are an inconsistent mess:

row.names, rownames
browseURL, contrib.url, fixup.package.URLs
package.contents, packageStatus
mahalanobis, TukeyHSD
getMethod, getS3method

It's too late to fix the established functions, but it would be nice to have
more reliable and sensible standards going forward into the future.

I agree, but on the other hand one should not overestimate the importance of the "inconsistent mess".

A good IDE (such as Eclipse + StatET) provides content assist
for R that takes away the burden both of remembering and correctly spelling R functions (and function arguments).

It's never too late - it's only a name not a code - search replace through the whole R code and have old names deprecated is not a big deal, isn't it?

?

Best,
Tobias