Hi Schalk,
the heatmap function does not implement "two-way joining" as far as I know.
It clusters rows and columns independently.  However if you find or program
a method that implements two-way joining, you could use the row and column
ordering it returns in your heatmap using the Rowv and Colv arguments to
heatmap.
-levi

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Schalk Heunis
<schalk.heu...@enerweb.co.za>wrote:

> Hi
>
> STATISTICA has a function called "Two-way joining" (see
> http://www.statsoft.com/TEXTBOOK/stcluan.html#twotwo) and the
> reference material states that this is based on the method as
> published by Hartigan (found this paper:
> http://www.jstor.org/pss/2284710 through wikipedia).
>
> What is the relationship (if any) between the "heatmap" function in R
> and this technique? Is there an alternative function to use?
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Schalk Heunis

Levi Waldron
post-doctoral fellow