Hello,
I posted my question to r-sig-fedora a few days ago, but noticed that list
is not very active. I hope sending my question here is okay, so here goes.

I've recently transitioned to using R in Linux. My OS/installation versions
are:
$ Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 6)
$ Linux lx-chgmqsd05 2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 11:57:43 EST 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am trying to create a repository of packages under ~/R/library which I've
created since I do not have admin access on my system. From my research on
the web, this is the standard way of installing and using packages from CRAN
in linux. I am ultimately trying to install the package "gplots" which
depends on "gtools". I have tried to install gtools using both of the 2 ways
I know:

i) Download gtools_2.6.1.tar.gz from CRAN and then running "R CMD INSTALL
gtools_2.6.1.tar.gz"
ii) install.packages("gtools",lib="~/R/library") directly at the R prompt

I get the same result with both and not sure what I'm missing here. I have a
slight suspicion that I don't have R_LIBS or R_HOME set correctly but I've
messed around with those, to no avail. I'm including the result of
attempting the install below. Any help?

$ R CMD INSTALL gtools_2.6.1.tar.gz
WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
* Installing to library '/home/ssaeed/R/library/'
* Installing *source* package 'gtools' ...
** libs
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/tp64/r-project/2.9.0/lib64/R/include  -I/usr/local/include
   -fpic  -O2 -m64 -march=nocona -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -c
setTCPNoDelay.c -o setTCPNoDelay.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib64 -o gtools.so setTCPNoDelay.o
-L/tp64/r-project/2.9.0/lib64/R/lib -lR
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'gtools'
     Formats: text html latex example
Can't use an undefined value as filehandle reference at
/tp64/r-project/2.9.0/lib64/R/share/perl/R/Rdconv.pm line 81.
ERROR: building help failed for package 'gtools'
* Removing '/home/ssaeed/R/library//gtools'

I'm returning to this group after a long time so please let me know if I'm
posting at the wrong place.

Thanks,
Saad