Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I use now a proper NAMESPACE with function declared correctly.

Christophe

Le 27 sept. 2009 à 19:16, David Winsemius a écrit :

On Sep 27, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Christophe Dutang wrote:

Nobody wants to answer my question... is there something stupid in it?

I couldn't really say. Not being a user of fitdistrplus I don't have much baseline experience. Had you posted code that produced something to work on, I might have made an effort at applying the methods I typically use, such as str(<object>), methods(<function>), and printing out the function code. But I am a rather low-level R- user, and as soon as you strart throwing around questions about NAMESPACE, my eyes glaze over and I move to the next question.

When I do install and load fitdistrplus and then execute:

methods(summary)

.. I see a new function which is not even invisible, called summary.fitdist. So it seems to be in my NAMESPACE ... or at least what I dimly understand about such metaphysical entities. I get an error when I execute your suggestion:

> S3method(summary, fitdist)
Error: could not find function "S3method"

So I would have assumed that you had a package with that "S3method" function about which you had not informed us. Not sure this helps because, as I said, your question appeared more complex that I considered myself competent to answer.

--
David

Début du message réexpédié :

De : Christophe Dutang <duta...@gmail.com>
Date : 19 septembre 2009 11:26:51 HAEC
À : r-help@r-project.org
Objet : generic methods - in particular the summary function

Hi all,

I'm currently working on the fitdistrplus package (that basically
fit distributions). There is something I do not understand about the
generic function summary.

In the current version on CRAN, there is no NAMESPACE saying

S3method(summary, fitdist)

.
However if we use summary on an object send by fitdist function it
works fine...

According to R-lang, we have
"
The most common use of generic functions is to provide print and
summary methods for
statistical ob jects, generally the output of some model fitting
process. To do this, each model
attaches a class attribute to its output and then provides a special
method that takes that output
and provides a nice readable version of it. The user then needs only
remember that print or
summary will provide nice output for the results of any analysis.
"

I would like to be sure, that if the summary.fitdist is not exported
in the NAMESPACE, then we must use declare it with S3method.

Thanks in advance

Christophe

--
Christophe Dutang