Gary,

Echoing Barry's suggestion of Omegahat packages, take a look at RCurl - http://www.omegahat.org/RCurl/ It has a function, getForm, which passes GET form parameters as a list to curl. I used it and the XML package in writing RLastFM (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RLastFM/index.html) which implements this for last.fm. With a few XPath queries (in the XML) package, you can format the data into a data frame.

Greg

Gary Lewis wrote:
Hi - Many organizations now make their data available as XML via a
REST web service architecture. Is there any R package or facility to
access this type of data directly (eg, to make the HTTP GET request
and have the downloaded data put into an R data  frame)?

I used several R search sites to look for an answer, but came up with
very little. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Gary Lewis

Greg Hirson
ghir...@ucdavis.edu

Graduate Student
Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry

1106 Robert Mondavi Institute North
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616