Danielle Dandreaux wrote:
I have been using R the past couple of years to run models on data we
are collecting. I recently got a new computer and updated to a new
version of R (2.60 -> 2.90). Since the update, I cannot get my syntax to
run. I have tried copying the file it is looking for into many different
directories to try and run it. In the last version, I found that it was
easiest if the file was copied into the R program file folder. I have
also tried changing the font the code is written in and turning off
"smart quotes" in MS word. Additionally, I have right clicked on R and
set myself as the only user on this computer to run this program. The
syntax line that appears to be causing problems is:
dataname="Igt2model.txt" and the error message is: Error: unexpected
input in "dataname=""

Does anyone have any suggestions?

That definitely looks like a problem with the quotes. I would strongly recommend against using MS Word as a text editor for this. You'd be better off using Notepad, or the built in script editor in R (both of which are pretty feeble editors, but adequate), or a better one like WinEdt, Tinn-R, Emacs, etc.

Duncan Murdoch
Thanks for all of your help,

Danielle

Danielle Dandreaux, Ph.D.