  Model: Count ~ quad.PBMC.model(aL, aN, T0) | Type/Tissue
   Data: tissueData

Coefficients:
                    T0         aN         aL
Naive/CLN    1530.0088 0.26508876 0.04730525
.
.
.
Memory/IngLN 2114.1868 0.05298126 0.12795589
Memory/MLN   1050.0811 0.02277018 0.13560749

Degrees of freedom: 96 total; 72 residual
Residual standard error: 271.4194

I find that T0 varies greatly with each treatment, so I'm going to leave that alone for now. However, aN and aL values don't seem to vary w/in a Type or between Types. As a result, I would like a mixed effects model using nlme.

Further, looking at the residuals, I find that they are heteroscedastic. As a result, I would like to try and model the variance in the data using varConstPowerFun within nlme. I've been trying to understand how to use this option by reading Pinheiro and Bates's book on mixed effects models. Based on this, I've tried using the syntax,

 nlme(Count ~ quad.PBMC.model(aL, aN, T0),
+   data = tissueData,
+   weights = varConstPower(form =~ Count),
+   start = list( fixed = c(rep(1000, 8), -2, -2) ),
+   fixed = list(T0 ~ TypeTissue-1, aL ~ 1, aN ~ 1),
+   random = aL + aN ~ 1|Tissue
+   )
Error in MEestimate(nlmeSt, grpShrunk) :
  Singularity in backsolve at level 0, block 1

The above command clearly this doesn't work, but if I comment out the "weights = ..." line, it executes with no problem.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance on how to properly set up varConstPower.

Sincerely,

Mike

569 Dabney Hall
University of Tennessee