Jay,

I don't recall the details of your original post so the
following may be entirely off the mark; nevertheless, here
goes:

thetext <- paste('Data', 1:8)
# or: thetext <- paste('Data', c('one', 'two', 'three', <etc>))
xyplot(decrease ~ treatment, OrchardSprays, groups = rowpos,
       type = "a",
       auto.key =
          list(text= thetext,
             space = "right",
            points = FALSE,
             lines = TRUE))

 -Peter Ehlers

Jay wrote:
Anybody? Frustrating to be unable to solve this silly little
problem...