On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Lorenzo Isella wrote:

Dear All,
I know how to use the boxplot()  function to generate a boxplot, but I
would like to (automatically) extract 5 numbers (median and the 4
quantiles) for each column and possibly save them into a convenient format.
Can anyone point me to the right direction? I am sure there must be an
automatic way to extract these data which are implicitly used by boxplot().

I think you need to read the "Value" section of the help page for boxplot. It that does not answer your question, then come back with more specifics.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT