On 01/11/2010 06:47 PM, Carl-Göran CG. Pettersson wrote:
Dear all

R2.10  WinXP

I have a dataset dealing with the way different wheat cultivars build their
yield.
Wheat ears are organised in spikelets where the spikelets can be numbered from
the bottom, with even numbers on one side and odd on the other.
I know how many kernels there were in each spikelet after some months spent
counting them...

Now I want to illustrate the differences between the cultivars in how the
kernels are distributed in the ears.
In the best of all possible worlds it would be possible to place histograms or
boxplots on adjecent sides of vertical lines representing different cultivars.
I have done some experimenting using boxplot() but I am stuck and out of ideas
right now.

Hi Carl,
Is this what you are looking for?

plot(0,xlim=c(0.5,6.5),ylim=c(0,6),
 main="Kernel distribution",xlab="Cultivar",
 ylab="Count",type="n",xaxt="n")
cultivars<-unique(spikernel$cn)
axis(1,at=1:6,labels=cultivars)
for(cultivar in 1:6)
 boxplot(unlist(spikernel[spikernel$cn==cultivars[cultivar],]),
  add=TRUE,at=cultivar)
abline("v"=1.5:5.5)

Jim