Try withCallingHandlers(), as in the following function
with returns the value of the expression along with
any warning messages as a list:

> withWarnings
function (expr)
{
    warnings <- character()
    retval <- withCallingHandlers(expr, warning = function(ex) {
        warnings <<- c(warnings, conditionMessage(ex))
        invokeRestart("muffleWarning")
    })
    list(Value = retval, Warnings = warnings)
}
<environment: R_GlobalEnv>

Typical usage would be:
> lapply(-1:1, function(i)withWarnings(log(i)))
[[1]]
[[1]]$Value
[1] NaN

[[1]]$Warnings
[1] "NaNs produced"

[[2]]
[[2]]$Value
[1] -Inf

[[2]]$Warnings
character(0)

[[3]]
[[3]]$Value
[1] 0

[[3]]$Warnings
character(0)

Perhaps there is some encapsulation of this already in some
package, as try() encapsulates error catching.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com