On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) <muenc...@utk.edu
> wrote:

> One of the things I updated was to *remove* the now-obsolete "PASW"! Since
> IBM bought the company, they did away with that and renamed things "IBM SPSS
> xxxxxxxx" See the list at:
> http://spss.com/software/statistics/

Sheesh! I knew IBM had bought it up but I guess I missed the memo about
changing the name-changing to a different name-change.

 I'm wondering if you should have a spatial statistics category as well as
(or instead of) a GIS category.  GIS would be more about making maps and
manipulating geographic data in a non-statistical way, whereas spatial
statistics has wider applications to 2-d data in general. The Spatial Task
View you reference talks about both aspects. For R, spatial stats packages
include spatstat, splancs and gstat. I don't know if SAS or SPSS do
point-pattern analysis or Kriging.

 It seems odd that SPPS Maps is 'defunct', as you say, since there's such a
rise in geospatial technologies. Have they got anything to replace it? Can
you make maps in IBM SPSS Whatever?

Barry