In R, see ?connection for information about functions similar to matlab's fopen.

If what you're trying to do is write information and the matrix to a file, then you can at least get started with something along the lines of:

  cat('This is my information\nand a second line of it\n',file='myfile')
  write.table(mymatrix, 'myfile',append=TRUE)

See also the sink() function

-Don