Dear R community

I would like to perform some statistical analysis on a data set containing
the following items: date, time, index of observation and various
covariates.

The date and time are originally extracted in the following format:
dd.mm.yyyy  and hh:mm:ss respectively. R and more precisely the function
read.table() seems to read the data properly. In a second step, I would like
to sort and subset the data according to daytime, day of the week, month,
season but I get into trouble when trying to use the built-in functions with
this format.

Which is the most convenient date and time format in R to perform such kind
of work?

Is there any specific, powerful and well documented package containing
various date and time functions?

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Robert M. Kalicki, MD

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Nephrology and Hypertension

Inselspital

University of Bern

Switzerland

Address:

Klinik und Poliklinik für Nephrologie und Hypertonie

KiKl G6

Freiburgstrasse 15

CH-3010 Inselspital Bern

Tel     +41(0)31 632 96 63