I would have to agree with Mike Miller.  As a novice to both R and Linux I
choose to use Ubuntu.
The substantial amount of help guides and forums really made the transition
easier and will save
some frustration.   Once you get used to linux you can always try a
different distribution later, if you want.

Joe

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Mike Miller
<mbmille...@gmail.com<mbmiller%...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Jonathan Baron wrote:
>
>  Just to make this thoroughly confusing, I will say that I am very happy
>> with Fedora
>>

> Just to make this less confusing: choose Ubuntu.  I say this because it is
> easy to use, has great repositories and it is the most popular Linux distro,
> so it should be easy to get help with it.  I have been running it on a
> number of machines doing a few different kinds of tasks and it has almost
> always been very easy to install.  I'm also happily running the Ubuntu
> Netbook Remix on a little Asus EeePC netbook.  To install R, just use the
> Synaptic program:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
>
> It couldn't be easier.
>
> I don't work for Ubuntu and I don't have any friends or relatives working
> there either.
>
> Mike

Joseph C. Magagnoli
Doctoral Student