Thompson, Trevor wrote:

It looks like R is treating every character in the string as if it were
decimal.  I didn't see anything in the help file about "." being some kind
of special character.  Any idea why R is treating a decimal this way in
these functions?   Any suggestions how to get around this?

'.' is the regexpr character for matching any single character!

> regexpr("a.e", "Female.Alabama")
[1] 4

To actually search for a dot, you need to 'escape' it with a backslash, but of course the backslash needs escaping itself, with another backslash. Luckily that backslash doesn't need escaping, otherwise we would quickly run out of patience.

> regexpr("\\.", "Female.Alabama")
[1] 7

Baz