Laura Quinn wrote:
Is there a way to increase the "sensitivity" of the color palette in order
to more clearly represent certain sections of data? For example I am
wanting to clearly differentiate between height data for a rolling
landscape but because of the extremes of the dataset (sea and mountain
tops), the bulk of the landscape is shaded in closely approximating green
- i have attempted to do this by using a larger color palette but this
doesn't make things any clearer.

The colour is selected linearly by the value you are drawing. Hence two solutions present themselves:

one, non-linearly scale your data. for your application I think squaring x-mean(x) might stretch out the tails.

two, constructing a non-linearly varying palette. you can do this by mucking about with the red, green, and blue values from the palette.

 the functions 'col2rgb' and 'rgb' are useful.

 Baz