Berton Gunter wrote:

Exactly! My point is that normality tests are useless for this purpose for
reasons that are beyond what I can take up here.

Thanks for your suggestions, I undesrtand that! Could you possibly give me some (not too complicated!)
links so that I can investigate this matter further?

Cheers,

Federico

Hints: Balanced designs are
robust to non-normality; independence (especially "clustering" of subjects
due to systematic effects), not normality is usually the biggest real
statistical problem; hypothesis tests will always reject when samples are
large -- so what!; "trust" refers to prediction validity which has to do
with study design and the validity/representativeness of the current data to
future.

I know that all the stats 101 tests say to test for normality, but they're
full of baloney!

Of course, this is "free" advice -- so caveat emptor!

Cheers,
Bert