That does indeed work! I had read the arguments section of ?postscript, but this will teach me to read
the details. There could/should be a trellis.device("eps", ...) that supplies the appropriate defaults.

For the perversely inclined I was able to use my original .ps file in this contorted way:

\rotatebox{180}{\includegraphics[angle=90,height=.6\textheight]{fig/barley2x3.ps}}

thanks, -Michael