Maybe it would be helpful to think of R-help as something more than
the Oracle of Delphi. Questions, ideally, should be framed in such a
way that they might lead to improvements in R: extensions of the code
or, more frequently clarifications or extensions of the documentation.
Indeed the R-help archive itself serves this function and could profitably
be searched prior to firing off a question to R-help. As traffic on R-help
increases there is a delicate balance that must be maintained in order
to keep knowledgeable users interested in the list.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger                Roger Koenker
email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Department of Economics
vox:    217-333-4558                            University of Illinois
fax:    217-244-6678                            Champaign, IL 61820