You might want to look at the ftnonpar package. You haven't quite specified whether
you are thinking about estimating densities, or regression functions or some third
option, or whether 2-dimensional means: functions R -> R or functions R^2 -> R,
my recollection is that ftnonpar is (mostly?) about the R -> R case.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger                Roger Koenker
email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Department of Economics
vox:    217-333-4558                            University of Illinois
fax:    217-244-6678                            Champaign, IL 61820