I see where you're going...yes, I could create my own histogram distribution from the data and plot it using barplot (in fact, I've already achieved the visual effect I want with barplot, so I could just expand on that). I'm hoping that I can find a way to do it with hist() to avoid duplicating the good work that has already gone in to that function.

Thanks,

Tom
On Feb 9, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Zachary Holden wrote:

Tom,
I dealt with this once.

 barplot.data<- c(2,3,4,5,6)
 x<- barplot(barplot.data, ylim = c(0,10), space= .9,.9,.9,.9)

use the space= to define the spacing between each of your barplot values.
If you have groups of bars that you want together, with spaces between the groups,
you have to put 0's for each of the unspaced bars.

Hope this helps,

Zack
----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Hopper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2005 7:02 am
Subject: [R] Histogram Bar Spacing or Border Width

Is there any way to control the spacing between bars in a
histogram, or
change the border width (I'm assuming the hist() function, though
alternatives are welcome)? I'm interested in changing the visual
spacing
between columns in a plotted histogram.

The general effect I'm looking for can be accomplished in barplots
using
the "width=" parameter, but I have not been able to find a way to
adjust
the apparent spacing in histograms.

Thank you,

Tom Hopper