I don't use 'its' enough to really know but usually when you see dates off
by one and are using POSIXct (which has time zone support) -- POSIXct is
what
'its' uses, it signals that the time zone is different than what you
expected.
 Try to specify the time zone explicitly if 'its' supports it. Another
possibility
is to use the 'zoo' package which can handle 'Date' class dates (as well as
'POSIXct' and others). Since 'Date' does not support time zones you can't
get into that sort of trouble in the first place.
 See the article in RNews 4/1 on dates classes for background info on dates
in R.