I am finding complex analyses easier than some elementary operations in
R.  In particular I want to do some low level exploratory data analyses
with data in a data frame but cannot find commands to easily insert,
remove (delete), rename, and re-order (arbitrarily, not sort) columns.
I see that the micEcon package has an insertCol command, but that is for
matrices, not data frames.  I have looked through several introductory
texts but all seem to stop short of explaining the commands needed for
the above.  Could a reader provide a reference where such commands are
documented?

Thank you,

Ben Fairbank