As far as generating a sudoku, it can't be too hard because I have a program
on my cell phone that does it with a size less than 325K.  I don't know the
best way to generate these, but one way I was thinking of was starting with
a filled up one then randomize the columns and rows. Then make some of them
blank.  The cell-phone version often generates puzzles that have non-unique
solutions.  Though I admit this is sometimes annoying, it also can make the
puzzle harder.

Thanks,

Roger