Usually (that is, not limited in R language), when error occurs in
try, stacks are rollbacked, so the variables defined in try no longer
exists after calling try.

One non-elegant solution is:

fit<-NULL
try ( (fit = lm(y~x, data = data_fitting)), silent =T)
if(!is.null(fit)){
coeffs = as.list(coef(fit))
## other subsequent processes
}