I seem to be later than some other respondents.  But for closure:

The patch you sent produces a msg <- ": 'tidy' is not HTML Tidy"
I would like to have the note tell the user how to update tidy, by giving an
explicit
reference to https://www.html-tidy.org/

from the *shell* buffer in emacs

rmh@MacBook-Air-5 ~ % which tidy
/usr/bin/tidy
rmh@MacBook-Air-5 ~ % tidy --version
HTML Tidy for Mac OS X released on 31 October 2006 - Apple Inc. build 8018
rmh@MacBook-Air-5 ~ %

from the *R* buffer

> system("which tidy")
/usr/local/bin/tidy