Personally I'd actually recommend saving the graphic in whatever is the highest-quality format you can, then open it in GraphicConverter and use that app to save a copy in tiff format.

It is a shame that there's still no tiff file tool in R (rtiff is old, bonged up, and ugly :-( ). Matlab and GraphicConverter (and I believe GIMP) have no problem opening & converting tiffs. We just need some energetic R-fan to code up a tool.

r-sig-mac-requ...@stat.math.ethz.ch wrote:

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:08:19 -0400
From: Michael Denslow <michael.dens...@gmail.com>
Subject: [R-SIG-Mac] tiff output on Mac
To: r-sig-mac@stat.math.ethz.ch

Dear R Mac folks,

I have not seen a thread on this so I thought I would get some input
regarding tiff output on a Mac.

Here are the options I have found that work on Macs.

# requires Ghostscript
bitmap(file="MacTest.tiff", type = "tifflzw",
        height = 7, width = 7, res = 600,
      units = "in")
plot(rpois(1:40,10))
dev.off()

tiff('Mactest.tiff', width = 5, height = 5, units = 'in', res = 600)
plot(rpois(1:100,1))
dev.off()

quartz(height = 7, width = 7, type = 'tiff', file = 'MacTest.tiff',bg
= 'white',dpi = 600)
hist(rpois(1:100,1))
dev.off()

hist(rpois(1:100,1))
# line are not all dark in output, not sure which tiff type to use...
dev2bitmap(file = 'MacTest.tiff', type = 'tiff24nc', height = 7, width
= 7, res = 600,
        units = 'in')

I have noticed that for bitmap and tiff the font and symbol size seems
to differ between the R session plot and the output plot.
Are there other graphic output options that I am missing here? Any
tips would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Michael