On Mar 15, 2010, at 14:42 , Adam D. I. Kramer wrote:

+1--this is the single most-annoying issue with R that I know of.

My usual solution, after accomplishing nothing as R spins idly for a couple hours, is to kill the process and lose any un-saved work. save.history() is my friend, but is a big delay when you work with big data sets as I do, so I
don't run it after every command.

I have cc'd r-help here, however, because I experience this problem with non-OSX R as well...when I run it in Linux or from the OSX command- line (I compile R for Darwin without aqua/R-framework), the same thing happens.

Is there some way around this? Is this a known problem?

"Hanging" for a long period of time is usually caused by poorly written C/Fortran code. You can always interrupt R as long as it is in the R code. Once you load a package that uses native code (C/ Fortran/..) you have to rely on the sanity of the developer to call R_CheckUserInterrupt() or rchkusr() often enough (see 6.12 in R-ext). If you have some particular package that does not do that, I would suggest alerting the author. By definition this requires cooperation from authors, because interrupting random code forcefully (as it was possible many years ago) creates leaks and unstable states.

Cheers,
Simon

Google searching suggests no solution, timeline, or anything, but the
problem has been annoying users for at least twelve years:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/9704/0151.html

Cordially,
Adam