Hi Christoph, Stacey,

This might be a problem for which a logistic regression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_regression) would be appropriate. If so, I encourage you to check out the following article, which I enjoyed:

Ives, A. R., and T. Garland Jr. 2009. Phylogenetic logistic regression for binary dependent variables. Systematic Biology (Advance Access). URL: http://sysbio.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/syp074v1.

Others on this list-serve might also be well suited to comment on this paper & method.

Sincerely, Liam

Liam J. Revell
NESCent, Duke University
web: http://anolis.oeb.harvard.edu/~liam/
NEW email: lrev...@nescent.org

sd...@duke.edu wrote:
Hi Christoph,
There was some discussion following a similar question a year ago:

The question:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-phylo/attachments/20080402/2e2b995e/attachment.pl

The threads:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-phylo/2008-April/thread.html#35

I'll be interested to hear what approach you take, so let us (or me anyway)
know.

Stacey

Quoting Christoph Heibl <christoph.he...@gmx.net>:

A question to the comparative method gurus:

I have a phylogeny for a group of plants that repeatedly evolved annuality from perennial ancestors. For each tip in the tree I have characterized the climatic tolerances (e.g. temperature, precipitation, ...)
.
I would like to assess if there is a significant correlation between life cycle (discrete) and climate variables (continuous).

I am not sure how to start with this and would appreciate your opinion!

Regards,
Christoph