Thanks for this, it works now. I wonder how that got there? It isn't in the
nexus format? Very odd!

Also,

> Enrico Rezende

> Chris,
> FYI, I opened your file in R with the read.tree command and had no problems
> to visualise your tree.
>

> > tree <- read.tree("tree.txt")
> > tree
>
> Phylogenetic tree with 1325 tips and 1248 internal nodes.
>
> Tip labels:
>    Acanthochlamys_bracteata, Barbacenia_albiflora, Barbacenia_pallida,
> Barbacenia_riedeliana, Barbacenia_trigona, Freycinetia_awaiarensis, ...
>
> Rooted; includes branch lengths.
>

> Enrico

How could he open it in this format?

Thanks

On 21 Jan 2011, at 15:36, Leonor Palmeira wrote:

Hi,

this is just due to a unallowed character in your file in
"Ptychosperma_harannii". If you change this, it should run fine.

Leo.

On 21/01/11 16:00, Chris Mcowen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a function that requires a tree in PHYLIP format. I had it in
> nexus ( which read in fine using the read.nexus function) i then opened it in
> figtree and output it as phylip.
>
> However when i try and open it i get this error:
>
>>> read.tree("/Users/chrismcowen/Desktop/tree.txt")
>> NULL
>> Warning message:
>> In strsplit(tree, NULL) : input string 1 is invalid in this locale
>>

> I can open it in figtree fine, so i am unsure why i cant in R?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> p.s - the tree is attached.
>
> Chris

Leonor Palmeira, PhD

Phone: +32 4 366 42 69
Email: mlpalmeira AT ulg DOT ac DOT be
http://sites.google.com/site/leonorpalmeira

Immunology-Vaccinology, Bat. B43b
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Boulevard de Colonster, 20
University of Liege, B-4000 Liege (Sart-Tilman)
Belgium