Hi Arne,

Just calculating the slope is straightforward. For tree and column vectors x & y (in order tree$tip.label):

> C<-vcv.phylo(tree)
> ax<-sum(solve(C,x))/sum(solve(C))
> ay<-sum(solve(C,y))/sum(solve(C))
> beta1<-sqrt(t(y-ay)%*%solve(C,y-ay)/(t(x-ax)%*%solve(C,x-ax)))

The model intercept can be obtained by plotting the slope through the phylogenetic mean of x & y.

> beta0<-ay-beta1*ax

I wrote a function to do this; but also to (optionally) fit Pagel's lambda jointly for x & y and to return the residuals in y. I did this last year, and then fixed a few bugs/errors when I saw your query this morning. I have put it online here: http://anolis.oeb.harvard.edu/~liam/R-phylogenetics/phy.RMA/v0.1/phyl.RMA.R.

Note, that this *does not* test hypotheses about the RMA regression nor does it incorporate individual variation (as in the Ives et al. 2007 article). Adding the former would be fairly simple using equations 15 of Ives et al., I think (I will do this when I get a chance); adding the latter not so much. I believe Tony Ives may have MATLAB code that does this already. Maybe he can comment.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Sincerely, Liam

--
Liam J. Revell