Hi,

As a followup on the questions regarding estimates of phylogenetic signal, I
was wondering if beta values could be meaningfully compared, for example if
estimated for different traits on the same phylogeny. Would it be correct to
assume that, if a Brownian motion model of evolution provides an accurate fit
to the data, the beta values would provide information on the rate of
phenotypic evolution of the trait? Would these values need to be standardized
somehow, given that the sigma value scales with trait value (as pointed out by
Carl)?

Cheers

Alejandro

On 19, May 2011, at 2:29 AM, Liam J. Revell wrote:

> Hi Annemarie,
>
> Positive log-likelihoods are not a problem.  The log-likelihood is calculated
> by summing the log probability densities, which come from a function that
> integrates to 1.0.  Thus, if the variance of this distribution is small, the
> value of the function will be large (i.e., greater than 1.0).
>
> The phenomenon of decreasing mean lambda when you increase the scale (i.e.,
> multiply by 10 or 100) is probably due to bounds on beta (in the lambda
> model, sigma^2) in fitContinuous().  The default upper bound is 20.  You can
> change this by executing:
>
> > fitContinuous(...,bounds=list(beta=c(0,1000)) # or something
>
> once you fix this issue, the mean lambda for any scale of your data vector
> should be the same.
>
> You can also try my function for estimating phylogenetic signal:
> phylosig(...,method="lambda") at URL:
> http://anolis.oeb.harvard.edu/~liam/R-phylogenetics/ which does not have this
> issue.
>
> Good luck.
>
> - Liam
>
> --
> Liam J. Revell
> University of Massachusetts Boston
> web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
> email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
> blog: http://phytools.blogspot.com
>
> On 5/18/2011 3:50 AM, Annemarie Verkerk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’m having some trouble with the function fitContinuous in the geiger
>> library. I'm using fitContinuous to estimate a lambda score as an
>> indication for the presence of phylogenetic signal. As a sidenote, I'm
>> doing this with language data - so language trees based on shared
>> vocabulary and it is a linguistic typological trait that I'm trying to
>> get estimates of lambda of. Another sidenote is that I have similar
>> problems in BayesTraits but no problems using phylosignal in picante for
>> estimating lambda.
>>
>> At the moment, there are 14 taxa in my sample. I have a tree set of 1000
>> trees. The first data set + trees are attached. My data values are all
>> values between 0 and 1, basically things like '0.326547'. (This is
>> because they come from a principal components analysis; they are scores
>> on the first principal component that explains about 80% of the
>> variation.) I've been using capped values with two numbers after the
>> period just for easy usage, so '0.33'. However, the results that I get
>> are strange.
>>
>> My first dataset looks like this:
>>
>> language value
>> t1 0.32
>> t4 0.52
>> t6 0.95
>> t9 0.75
>> t10 0.77
>> t12 0.46
>> t14 0.61
>> t2 0.35
>> t3 0.29
>> t5 0.25
>> t7 0.89
>> t8 0.88
> [...]

__________________________________

Alejandro Gonzalez Voyer

Post-doc

Estación Biológica de Doñana
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
Av Américo Vespucio s/n
41092 Sevilla
Spain

Tel: + 34 - 954 466700, ext 1749