Hi Graham,

I, too, have done this under Brownian motion and "squared-change parsimony"
reconstructions.
In my experience (which was a while ago, and memory fades ...), the confidence
intervals for nodes near to the one you constrain ("near" in terms of the
length of the branches connecting the nodes) should be reduced, and sometimes
substantially, if the constrained node is close by.  Right?

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Wet Lab Phone:  (951) 827-5724
Dry Lab Phone:  (951) 827-4026
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

Experimental Evolution: Concepts, Methods, and Applications of Selection
Experiments
Edited by Theodore Garland, Jr. and Michael R. Rose
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520261808
(PDFs of chapters are available from me or from the individual authors)