Hi All,

I'm happy I have stimulated some discussion about this subject matter. For
some reason I can't imagine it looks this whole thing is going to be somehow
personal and I have not posted this last e-mail to the list as a consequence.
Joe, unfotunately I never attended a lecture of yours, and didn't raise trivial
distinctions and objections to a grant proposal you submitted. My intention was
not to be critical about BM or ICs, or whatever. I just wanted to point it out
that things are sometimes a bit too complex and some unreliable predictions
from our models may slip out unnoticed evey now and then, as I believe it is
apparent reading the literature (including my own, of course). Having said
that, my guess was that we *may* use the BM and computations at nodes to see
where (in which lineages) do phenotypes appear very different from predictions.
For instance, I think it could be somehow possible to use estimated ancestral
charactes to see how much the inclusion of some fossil (or new) species changes
the estimated value (e.g. by creating a polytomy by the inclusion of the new
species), or even back-calculate branch lenghts (under BM assumption) for these
unusual phenotypes to see how much evolution accelerates in these lineages (by
comparison with real branch lengths).
I hope I spoke my mind more clearly at this time.
Pas