Hi Pas,

No worries, we have all done an accidental "Reply All" more than once!

>I estimated ancestral (and tip) values for which I have real data via
>BM assumption to see how good the fit is

Can you clarify?  Unless you have some a priori hypothesis to test about a
particular tip (or set of tips, such as a whole clade), then why would you
estimate their values and how would you do this?  Did you just delete one at a
time, crank the numbers (presumably yielding the same values as you would get
from Garland and Ives, 2000), and see what you got?

Whether it is a "tip" or a fossil taxon (which is just a tip with a branch that
terminates before now), the confidence intervals on the predicted values will
be hugely affected by how long the branch is to that taxon (the longer the
branch, the wider the prediction intervals).  And also by how many "close
relatives" are attached to the node it comes from, and by how much phenotypic
diversity exists in those "close relatives."

>The bottom line is answering the question: how long should the branch
>leading to that particular species be if it evolved at the same rate of its
>sister species?

That's an interesting way to look at it (a sort of inverse [perverse?]
parameterization), but it does not give you any additional information beyond
asking whether a taxon is an "outlier" via the tests we have discussed a bit
ago.  Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Ted