Hi Roland.

Thanks for your interest in this function and method. The method is described in an article that is now available as an "Accepted Article" online (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01435.x). Unfortunately, this was posted online by 'Evolution' without its supplementary appendix (which contains details on running and interpreting the function evol.rate.mcmc()), but I would be happy to send this to you off-list.

evol.rate.mcmc() implements a method in which MCMC is used to identify the phylogenetic position of a shift in the evolutionary rate for a continuously valued character. It can also be used to obtain estimates of the evolutionary rates tipward and rootward of this shift.

What you are looking at is the "raw" posterior sample from this analysis. Depending on how long you run the MCMC you should have 100s or 1000s of rows in $mcmc & 100s or 1000s of elements in $tips. To make sense of this, you should use two different functions: minSplit() and posterior.evolrate().

minSplit() takes the tree and $mcmc as input. You should first decide how many generations (and thus how many rows of $mcmc, which will depend on sampling frequency) you want to exclude as burn-in. It returns the shift-point that minimizes the summed or the sum of squared distances to all the other sampled points in the posterior.

posterior.evolrate() pre-processes the posterior sample so that you can make sense of it. It takes as input the tree, the average shift point (say, the output from minSplit()), $mcmc, and $tips. It returns a matrix containing a pre-processed posterior sample of evolutionary rates tipward and rootward of the median shift point which can then be analyzed in a typical way. (For instance, you can compute parameter estimates as the mean or median; as well as HPD intervals and ESSs using, for instance, the MCMC diagnostics package "coda.")

I hope this is helpful. Thanks again for giving the method a try. Please don't hesitate to contact me for further clarification.

Best of luck.

- Liam

--
Liam J. Revell