Hi Nick.

If you use the function reorder.phylo(...,order="pruningwise") the resultant tree edge matrix is suitable for post-order traversal (i.e., the daughters always precede the parents in top-to-bottom matrix traversal). This might be helpful for what you would like to do - for instance if you just label the nodes as they are first encountered in the matrix this would be in the order of a post-order traversal of the tree.

All the best, Liam

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston