In my phytools package (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/phytools/index.html) there is a function reroot() that is really just a simple wrapper around root() that allows you to root along internal or terminal edges (rather than only at nodes).

In your example, assuming that the node 500 is tipward of 174 in the tree, to re-root the tree halfway along the edge leading to node number 500 (in tree$edge), you would just do:

rooted.tree<-reroot(tree,node.number=500,position=tree$edge.length[tree$edge[,2]==500]/2)

I think.

All the best, Liam

--
Liam J. Revell